Find below both the personal technology skills and technology specifications required for being successful in the OnlineHS program.
As a “choice program” it’s important to understand that online learning is not for everyone. We work hard to accommodate the needs of students. However, it is often too difficult to learn the subject matter, concepts, and skills of a new class, while also trying to learn how to use the required technology.
Please review the list prior to enrolling in OnlineHS.
Students should be able to:
- Comfortably use a computer
- Locate, access, save, & retrieve files stored on their local machine or a cloud-based storage system.
- Be proficient at using tools generally available in a productivity suite, such as a word processor, spreadsheet, and presentation software.
- Communicate using online technology: Email & Instant Messaging
The student MUST have a valid email address that they access regularly.
- Navigate the Internet (World Wide Web) and successfully search for information using a Search Engine or Directory
Students should have a reliable home computer connected to the Internet.
This computer should be able to be used by the student at least one-hour every school day (per course). Many families have parent/guardians that need to use their home computer for work/business and/or have other family members who require the computer. Please evaluate in advance of registration if you’re able to use your home technology the amount of time required to be successful.
Please make sure that your computer meets or exceeds the following specifications listed below–prior to enrollment.
Operating System and Browser
- Windows Operating Systems:
Windows XP Service Pack 3, Windows Vista, Windows 7
Internet Explorer 6.x or higher and Firefox 3.x to 5.01
The OnlineHS staff finds a greater overall experience using the Google Chrome browser as it operates faster than any other browser we’ve tested.
- Mac Operating System
OS X Version 10.4 or higher (Tiger or higher)
Safari 2.x or higher and Firefox 3.x to 5.01
*Firefox Version 3.6+ requires Java 6 Update 10 or higher
NOTE: Some courses contain Adobe Flash videos & lessons that may not play on Apple OS (iPad, iPhone, iTouch) products. The iPad browsers apps: iRover & iSwifter *will* play Flash movie/videos.
Plug-ins & Browser Add-ons
- Internet connection required
56kbps modem (High Speed 256K+ Recommended)
The faster the speed, the better the overall experience.
- 128 MB Ram (512MB Recommended)
- 1024 x 768+ required
- Keyboard, mouse, sound card and speakers